Member Login top RegisterAbout ccd.netSite MapSearchContact Us .
ccd.net - home random image Community Cultural Development in Australia .
. All Talk

Current Forums

Note you'll need to register to post messages or access member-only forums. :), note views since 20/8/03

Current ForumsForum ContentsMain Menu

Thread:   Re: A definition for ccd?

Date Posted: 2003-01-14 09:47:52
Author: Scott

Allen raises some interesting points, and I think it is very important to note that the definitions supplied here are really meant to be 'indicators' or even 'road signs' on the direction of ccd rather than concrete or limiting definitions. If they don't in fact do that, then I hope these and subsequent postings will turn this section of ccd.net into something which does.

CCD is both a fluid and hopefully developing field of practice. That means that any definition supplied will be updated/superceded by what the field calling itself ccd is actually doing.

Starting with the latter points of Allen's post:
"ccd could not just be about community arts applying itself through arts workers but would need to be broadened to include other expressions of human skill in other sectors eg social arts, economic arts, political arts, philanthropic arts and religious arts expressing themselves through their respective agents of change (arts workers)"

Certainly when it comes to funding bodies, 'Art' is a defining factor of mainstream ccd practice. Can you apply ccd principles to other endeavours as Allen suggests? Definitely.

Would you call it then 'Cultural' Development? Perhaps it is 'culture' which needs defining rather than Art. My instincts (developed through my original training as an archaeologist) are that Culture is everything which incorporates a way of life - not just the narrower cultural practices and cultural products usually referred to as Art.

That means fashion, architecture, cooking and even things like economics, sport and political practices are indeed Cultural phenomena. So yes I would agree. Community based developmental activiity in any of these areas could just as easily be seen as ccd.

"Those Indigenous cultures already whole and complete that do not require change by development or by transformation, but have been colonised and rendered dependent by the dominant society, are not practicing ccd as defined by their dominant peers but are actually practicing survival"

I don't think that undertaking traditional cultural practices is quite what I would term ccd. Developing new ones certainly is. I think there must be a 'developmental' aspect whether that is developing a new or changing community culture or using cultural activities to develop some other aspect of a community is equally ccd.

As to the word development, I think it tends to assume a positive change rather than a negative one...maybe not in terms of dictionary definition but certainly in its use. Sure a cancer 'develops' but you wouldn't say that the human body develops as a result of that cancer.

Allen, you aren't a space cadet as far as I can see from your post(!) and it is always good to remind yourself that progress tends to come from dissent rather than agreement.

Other messages for this discussion:

ccd lingo
Language and definitions used in community cultural development - social capital, consultation, artsworker and the term ccd itself.
Author Posted

ccd or CCD? Scott 2002/07/22

Re: ccd or CCD? 2002/09/19

social capital Riccardo 2002/05/03

Re: social capital 2002/09/19

programs & projects Riccardo 2002/05/03

process Riccardo 2002/05/03

in-kind support Riccardo 2002/05/03

development Riccardo 2002/05/03

community consultation Riccardo 2002/05/03

community Riccardo 2002/05/03

Re: community (virtual ones) 2003/02/19

Re: community (virtual ones) Scott 2003/03/18

artsworker Riccardo 2002/05/03

Re: artsworker 2002/08/18

Re: artsworker 2002/09/19

A definition for ccd? Riccardo 2002/05/03

Re: A definition for ccd? Michelle 2002/06/03

Re: A definition for ccd? 2002/09/19

Re: A definition for ccd? Allen G. 2003/01/08

Re: A definition for ccd? Scott 2003/01/14

Re: A definition for ccd? 2003/02/03

test The Administrator 2003/09/18

Expand Messages.

top of page
Australia Council

Email this page to a friend
Email Icon

Print-friendly version of this page.
Print Icon

CAN SA Inc is assisted by the Commonwealth Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body and by the South Australian Government through Arts SA.

Credits   |   Terms & Conditions   |   Privacy Policy   |   © Community Arts Network SA Inc 2017

Email admin@ccd.net

Section Menu
  ccd.net forums
  Current Forums
  Host your own forum